Christmas is only 54 days away! If you’re like me, you’ve been procrastinating saving money for Christmas gifts, travel, etc., and now Christmas is a little over a month away so the panic sets in. Never fear however, you still have 50ish days to save and make some extra cash.
November is a month for us to practice gratitude for what we have and where are. To fully immerse yourself into the spirit of this month, you can start by participating in No Spend November. Don’t worry I had never heard of this either, but roommate is doing it this month to practice being grateful for what she already owns and I thought it was such a great idea I decided to join her.
So what is No Spend November? Basically, you’re only allowed to spend money on the basics: food, housing, commuting costs. You stop spending money on the non-essentials, going out for meals, Starbucks runs, shopping, etc.. Meal prepping will be essential to your success this month.
If No Spend November isn’t your thing, there are plenty of ways to make or save a little extra cash around the holiday season.
1. Split groceries with your roommate or friend and prep all your meals together. It’s more fun and way more cost effective.
3. If you have a car, sign up to be a Lyft or Uber driver.
6. Many stores and restaurants ramp up their hiring around the holiday’s, so you can work a seasonal job for 10-20 hours a week and make a lot of extra cash in a short amount of time.
7. Are you paying for subscriptions that you could be sharing? Split Netflix with your roomie or siblings. Same with Hulu, Sling, Amazon Prime, etc.
8. Sell your old stuff. Sites like Decluttr will pay you for your old technology (iphones, ipods, computers, tvs, dvds, books, etc.) and Poshmark is a great place to list clothes you don’t want anymore.
In this gig/sharing economy we are living in, there are really endless opportunities for making extra money that don’t involve working part time at McDonalds.
Do you know of any other great ways to make or save some extra money for the Holidays? Tell me in the comments below!